Mentor Seminar Spring 2012
Learn how to be a better mentor, teacher, and student! Next week will be the first Entering Mentoring seminar for the Spring quarter. This seminar is open to graduate students, postdocs, and even professors that want to enhance their abilities as a mentor. This Spring we will hold 6 weekly 1-hour seminars covering topics common to all mentoring relationships.
Here are just a few benefits of participating in the Mentoring Seminar:
- Enhance your mentoring abilities through awareness and learn tools for effective mentoring
- Gain perspective on all mentoring relationships, including your own student/PI relationship
- Put on your CV that you took a HHMI Entering Mentoring Seminar
- Free coffee and bagels on Tuesday mornings!
Time: Tuesday mornings from 9:00am to 10:00am
Dates: Tuesday May 1st through Tuesday June 5th (6 weeks long)
Place: 148 Briggs Hall
Our tentative weekly schedule will focus on the following topics:
- Establishing a good mentoring relationship, and elements of a good research project
- Learning to communicate effectively and adaptively
- Setting goals and expectations, and developing trust
- Identifying and resolving challenges in mentoring
- Evaluating your progress as a mentor
- Developing a mentoring philosophy and drawing parallels in mentoring
To sign up, subscribe to the EnteringMentoring listserve at: https://lists.ucdavis.edu/sympa/info/enteringmentoring or email Brandon Zipp (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kristi Bezold (email@example.com) for more information.
Feel free to email with any questions that you might have. We look forward to seeing you next week!
Brandon and Kristi